
About two Saturdays ago, a friend of mine, someone quite close to me, got married. I remember when I got married three years ago, she told me that she would not attend the last friend that was getting married because she didn’t want to go alone. She saw herself as not being able to find a boyfriend, let alone get married. I brushed it off almost immediately as I know that she’d find someone in her life. When that time would come, I wouldn’t know as that is Allah’s will.
Well, she met her boyfriend about a year after I got married at a friend’s wedding. She didn’t think that it was serious. But serious or not, she got married to him after two years of seeing him. She was so beautiful on the day that she got married. During her akad nikah, she wore this short blue embroidered kembaya, with a head veil. When I entered her room that night, I couldn’t believe my eyes. She was truly beautiful. She is actually a simple girl, small in size with straight, rebonded hair. But that night, she looked stunning. When she prepared herself for the majlis berinai after the akad nikah, she was even more beautiful. Unfortunately, I didn’t take those berinai pictures. As her grandmother is a traditional mak andam, she had the opportunity to wear a huge headdress and went through a few traditional ritual where mak andam-ing is concerned. And they made her look good alright. Even my Ibu admitted it.
I knew Lin back during my Convent days. She was one of those goody-goody girls, who was quite clever in class. She liked reading. So, I would see her with novels ALL the time. With her spectacles and curly hair, she would sit and shove her nose into the books without really looking around her to see who was actually sitting next to her! After SRP, she went to MRSM Taiping, and thereafter, she did her A-Levels in the UK (even before the SPM results were out) at this girls’ school somewhere in Scotland. We maintained friendship (surprisingly) and when I went to the UK to do my degree, we kept in contact. As she was in Norwich, and I was in Newcastle, we couldn’t really see each other a lot. So we were constantly on the phones. As Telewest and other telephone cable operators had this cheap weekend rate, we would always ‘date’ on the phone. I did get to see her when I went to Norwich. We stayed in her room and because it wasn’t a planned sleepover she had to scour her friends’ room to look for extra lenses holders! It was funny.
We remained close friends even after we got back to Malaysia. We would meet up for dinner, breakfast on Sundays, meet after work, or I would go to her Ampang condo, just to hang out. It was wonderful. As I used to work at the KLCC, she would drop by KLCC and we would have dinner there. And we could chit-chat for hours. I know a lot about her love stories, which I think I should not dwell into.
When I got married, she was among the girls who stayed back to do my inai. They had to wait for me until 1in the morning as I was busy posing for the cameraman during the ‘tukar-tukar baju’ event. Lin and the other girls later slept at my house as it was too late to go back. There we were on the tikar at the living room, sleeping. It was good.
When she got married, I had wanted to do the same. In fact, I had taken leave a day before the wedding so that I could help out wherever necessary. But alas, I had to work so I couldn’t attend her wedding. She was upset with me but what could I do. So, the day the akad nikah was held, I left the office at 5.45pm as I needed to go back to Seremban immediately. I had to be there when the akad nikah was being carried out. I was lucky as I reached her house at 9pm together with the groom. So, I managed to be there for the akad nikah.
I’m happy that she’s married. And I truly hope that she’ll be happy with her husband and have lots of wonderful children.
Well, she met her boyfriend about a year after I got married at a friend’s wedding. She didn’t think that it was serious. But serious or not, she got married to him after two years of seeing him. She was so beautiful on the day that she got married. During her akad nikah, she wore this short blue embroidered kembaya, with a head veil. When I entered her room that night, I couldn’t believe my eyes. She was truly beautiful. She is actually a simple girl, small in size with straight, rebonded hair. But that night, she looked stunning. When she prepared herself for the majlis berinai after the akad nikah, she was even more beautiful. Unfortunately, I didn’t take those berinai pictures. As her grandmother is a traditional mak andam, she had the opportunity to wear a huge headdress and went through a few traditional ritual where mak andam-ing is concerned. And they made her look good alright. Even my Ibu admitted it.
I knew Lin back during my Convent days. She was one of those goody-goody girls, who was quite clever in class. She liked reading. So, I would see her with novels ALL the time. With her spectacles and curly hair, she would sit and shove her nose into the books without really looking around her to see who was actually sitting next to her! After SRP, she went to MRSM Taiping, and thereafter, she did her A-Levels in the UK (even before the SPM results were out) at this girls’ school somewhere in Scotland. We maintained friendship (surprisingly) and when I went to the UK to do my degree, we kept in contact. As she was in Norwich, and I was in Newcastle, we couldn’t really see each other a lot. So we were constantly on the phones. As Telewest and other telephone cable operators had this cheap weekend rate, we would always ‘date’ on the phone. I did get to see her when I went to Norwich. We stayed in her room and because it wasn’t a planned sleepover she had to scour her friends’ room to look for extra lenses holders! It was funny.
We remained close friends even after we got back to Malaysia. We would meet up for dinner, breakfast on Sundays, meet after work, or I would go to her Ampang condo, just to hang out. It was wonderful. As I used to work at the KLCC, she would drop by KLCC and we would have dinner there. And we could chit-chat for hours. I know a lot about her love stories, which I think I should not dwell into.
When I got married, she was among the girls who stayed back to do my inai. They had to wait for me until 1in the morning as I was busy posing for the cameraman during the ‘tukar-tukar baju’ event. Lin and the other girls later slept at my house as it was too late to go back. There we were on the tikar at the living room, sleeping. It was good.
When she got married, I had wanted to do the same. In fact, I had taken leave a day before the wedding so that I could help out wherever necessary. But alas, I had to work so I couldn’t attend her wedding. She was upset with me but what could I do. So, the day the akad nikah was held, I left the office at 5.45pm as I needed to go back to Seremban immediately. I had to be there when the akad nikah was being carried out. I was lucky as I reached her house at 9pm together with the groom. So, I managed to be there for the akad nikah.
I’m happy that she’s married. And I truly hope that she’ll be happy with her husband and have lots of wonderful children.

No comments:
Post a Comment