Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Suddenly, Things Are Too Fast

I am rather guilty for not updating the blog. I have every intention to write about a lot of things, but I have been bogged down with work. A lot of it, thus very little time to tell stories in the blog. From eating a lot of durian at the office here (and getting sick afterwards) to attending weddings, life suddenly is a bit of a roller coaster. A bit like the film Click. You know, the one that Adam Sandler and Kate Beckinsdale acted in where Adam is this guy who likes to fast forward his life using this universal remote control so that he can skip the boring stuff and be at that career level that he’s been wanting to have. I like Click. It makes me ponder on the littlest things in life which really meant a lot to me but I have overlooked. The film has this surprising moral value to it, unlike any of Adam’s films in the past. It’s dead hilarious, serious (and at one point, extremely sad – I had to wipe the tears using the back of my hand) and I have to add in again, VERY funny. Go get a DVD or something if you haven’t seen it.

Look at that, I’m getting carried away with the movie already. Anyway, I have a class this Sunday teaching a roomful of safety officers some Business Communication Skills. I’m actually taking over the class from a trainer who couldn’t teach this Sunday so had to give up his class to someone else equally skilful and that someone happens to be me. Equally skilful?? Hell no..!! I am a nervous wreck. I don’t know if I can pull it of. I am SO afraid to be standing in a class full of male adults (about 25 of them and only 2 are female) and teach them Business Communication Skills. And to make matters worse, this is my first time!! I have the materials courtesy of the nice trainer, but can I pull it of? What do I do to pass the time? I have to teach them for 8 hours, all right, and that’s VERY long for a first timer like me. I haven’t had time to prepare as I was too busy with work. I mean, I need to at least be familiar with the stuff that I’m teaching. No doubt I do communication skills ALL THE TIME, but it’s different for safety officers. They don’t do reports, letters and memos everyday. So I have to convert whatever knowledge I have to their level and thus need to do some ground work. I have 4 days left. I can’t do it at home coz my time will be fully occupied with house chores.

This is very stressing. I have to come up with group activities. But what sort of activities can be done if you have to teach how to draft reports, memos, letters and emails? I need ideas. Anyone has any? You know, do group activities that relate to drafting memos, letters, etc. The trainer said, “Look up for them at the Internet”. As if I don’t know that already. But I haven’t had the time to surf the net for it. So, if any of you have ideas, maybe those that you came across during seminars and training, please…, please, share them with me. I am SO open to ALL ideas.

Gosh, it’s 9am already. Time sure flies fast. I’ve got board papers to do. Later…

3 comments:

The Pisces Man said...

Are u sure u wiped your tears using the back of my hand, and not hubby's hand. Hehe...

Anyway, here's an idea. Create a situation where they have to prepare a memo, like a new office rule or something. Divide them in groups and ask each group to prepare a memo. Then compare the memos. Which ones are accurate and to the point, adapting the correct format etc etc..

With regard to sending emails, perhaps teach a format which ask for clients to acknowledge receipt of email and attachments (and indicate back no. of pages of the attachments that they received).

About drafting reports, you suruh aja lah cikgu sign report card tu.. haha...

GOOD LUCK!!!

The Pisces Man said...

sori, i meant your hand, not 'my' hand.. oopsss...

Mel Ija said...

Hhmm... that's an idea. Get them to draft a memo in groups, then compare them. Hmmm... anything else? I'm so desperate at the moment.

Btw, I'm sure it's MY hand. Not yours, nor my hubby :)