I have a maid. Her name is Aini. She has been with me for a year. She’s not exactly the best cleaner in town, as she only cleans what she sees. But when she is proactive, I will compliment her because I think she truly deserves it. She is 29 years old and has two kids aged 5 and 7. Her family is in Lombok. She has a sister in JB who recently got married to another Indonesian also residing in Malaysia.
Though she’s not the perfect cleaner, at least my house is in order now. My bathroom is clean, the floor is swept and mopped and my clothes are being taken care of (which was something I was bad at before I had her. Clean clothes were only folded and put away in the cupboard on weekends. What to do? I sent my kids to PJ everyday and got back late at night). But most importantly, she takes really good care of the kids. She especially adores Raqib. I guess she took care of him since he was a baby (well, when Raqib was about 10 months or so). And Marsya is also ok with her. So, I don’t see much issue there. As long as she is warm to the kids, I am fine. Furthermore, she is the type that does not talk much. She will only talk to me, when I speak to her first. Then we would have decent conversations about her kids, her husband, her sister, etc, etc. I guess she was afraid to start first because my mood isn’t exactly predictable especially after a hard day at work. And I appreciate that.
Though her sister is in Malaysia, I have never given her any leave. Her sister has been prompting her to get a day off so that Aini can go visit her in JB, and Aini has been relaying it to me, but I never really took action. I have never allowed it. Not directly, but indirectly I suppose Aini knows. It’s not that I don’t want to. I just fear about everything if I let her go. What if she learns things which she’s not supposed to? What if her sister is a bad influence on her because from the way that she talks about her sister, I wouldn’t exactly want her sister to be my maid. But then, I am also not a cruel person. I mean, put myself in her shoes. If my sister or brother is near me, together in a foreign country, I would want to visit her or him. So I don’t really blame her for wanting to visit her sister. The only thing that is drawing her back is her fear to go to JB alone, you know like taking public transportation and all. Basically fear of the unknown. I guess I could teach her how to get on the public transport but I don’t want it to be a norm. What if she suddenly leaves the house and never come back? What will happen to my kids? See, these are the things that I fear. I guess, I am also afraid of the unknown. I think I can trust her, but a sensible part of me tells me not to be too trusting. So, that’s why I have never taken it seriously whenever she tells me that her sister wants her to visit.
Furthermore, I am not the type of employer that leaves her in the house whenever I go out. I always bring her out with me. Shopping complexes, weddings, gathering with friends, dinner outside, and so forth. So I don’t think I am being cruel to her. Not to mention that I will buy her personal stuff without deducting her salary. I don’t mind paying them. I am not the calculative type.
So when suddenly the Indonesian Manpower and Trans-migration Minister Erman Suparno said that Indonesia is withdrawing all maids from Indonesia, I was a little pissed off. And that’s not all. He also mentioned about the day off and seeking for the maids to hold their own passports. He also wants salary revision. This man is just asking for so much. Yeah I can understand his concerns, but he is basing all these on two very remote cases. And the way that the media is highlighting them like mad, really makes me angry. I mean, what about those issues about maids running away the minute we renew their permits? They don’t come cheap. And for working moms like me, I despise that. We work to get them to come is, and then they just run off. And the best part is that, we don’t get compensated for it. All costs burnt down the drain. And don’t get me started on maids getting pregnant or hitting on our husbands, or bringing people home and doing it in our bedroom. And what about those that use black magic? Putting unknown substances in our food? Oh yes, I have heard such horrifying stories before and believe me, I am really scared. Aini seems to be ok, but you never know right. But of course I am glad that I have her. Like I said, she isn’t exactly perfect, but she does help and most importantly, she is good with the kids.
I do worry about this new proposal by Minister Erman Suparno. Yes this thing has yet to be tabled at the Parliament, but I hope our government is also looking at protecting our rights, the employer. Those who are lucky to get good maids, well, good for them. But those that didn’t?
[Sigh…] This is a very sensitive issue right now. I have asked Aini though whether she wanted to take a day off. She said even if she does takes a day off, where would she go to. She doesn’t have any relative in KL. And her sister’s in JB. Well that’s what she said. But what does she really feel in her heart. Even I don’t know.
Though she’s not the perfect cleaner, at least my house is in order now. My bathroom is clean, the floor is swept and mopped and my clothes are being taken care of (which was something I was bad at before I had her. Clean clothes were only folded and put away in the cupboard on weekends. What to do? I sent my kids to PJ everyday and got back late at night). But most importantly, she takes really good care of the kids. She especially adores Raqib. I guess she took care of him since he was a baby (well, when Raqib was about 10 months or so). And Marsya is also ok with her. So, I don’t see much issue there. As long as she is warm to the kids, I am fine. Furthermore, she is the type that does not talk much. She will only talk to me, when I speak to her first. Then we would have decent conversations about her kids, her husband, her sister, etc, etc. I guess she was afraid to start first because my mood isn’t exactly predictable especially after a hard day at work. And I appreciate that.
Though her sister is in Malaysia, I have never given her any leave. Her sister has been prompting her to get a day off so that Aini can go visit her in JB, and Aini has been relaying it to me, but I never really took action. I have never allowed it. Not directly, but indirectly I suppose Aini knows. It’s not that I don’t want to. I just fear about everything if I let her go. What if she learns things which she’s not supposed to? What if her sister is a bad influence on her because from the way that she talks about her sister, I wouldn’t exactly want her sister to be my maid. But then, I am also not a cruel person. I mean, put myself in her shoes. If my sister or brother is near me, together in a foreign country, I would want to visit her or him. So I don’t really blame her for wanting to visit her sister. The only thing that is drawing her back is her fear to go to JB alone, you know like taking public transportation and all. Basically fear of the unknown. I guess I could teach her how to get on the public transport but I don’t want it to be a norm. What if she suddenly leaves the house and never come back? What will happen to my kids? See, these are the things that I fear. I guess, I am also afraid of the unknown. I think I can trust her, but a sensible part of me tells me not to be too trusting. So, that’s why I have never taken it seriously whenever she tells me that her sister wants her to visit.
Furthermore, I am not the type of employer that leaves her in the house whenever I go out. I always bring her out with me. Shopping complexes, weddings, gathering with friends, dinner outside, and so forth. So I don’t think I am being cruel to her. Not to mention that I will buy her personal stuff without deducting her salary. I don’t mind paying them. I am not the calculative type.
So when suddenly the Indonesian Manpower and Trans-migration Minister Erman Suparno said that Indonesia is withdrawing all maids from Indonesia, I was a little pissed off. And that’s not all. He also mentioned about the day off and seeking for the maids to hold their own passports. He also wants salary revision. This man is just asking for so much. Yeah I can understand his concerns, but he is basing all these on two very remote cases. And the way that the media is highlighting them like mad, really makes me angry. I mean, what about those issues about maids running away the minute we renew their permits? They don’t come cheap. And for working moms like me, I despise that. We work to get them to come is, and then they just run off. And the best part is that, we don’t get compensated for it. All costs burnt down the drain. And don’t get me started on maids getting pregnant or hitting on our husbands, or bringing people home and doing it in our bedroom. And what about those that use black magic? Putting unknown substances in our food? Oh yes, I have heard such horrifying stories before and believe me, I am really scared. Aini seems to be ok, but you never know right. But of course I am glad that I have her. Like I said, she isn’t exactly perfect, but she does help and most importantly, she is good with the kids.
I do worry about this new proposal by Minister Erman Suparno. Yes this thing has yet to be tabled at the Parliament, but I hope our government is also looking at protecting our rights, the employer. Those who are lucky to get good maids, well, good for them. But those that didn’t?
[Sigh…] This is a very sensitive issue right now. I have asked Aini though whether she wanted to take a day off. She said even if she does takes a day off, where would she go to. She doesn’t have any relative in KL. And her sister’s in JB. Well that’s what she said. But what does she really feel in her heart. Even I don’t know.

No comments:
Post a Comment