Thursday, November 04, 2010

A Bit Frustrated Today

Apparently, we are going to have another major corporate exercise involving a strategic acquisition of another company. It was announced in major newspapers today and an announcement was released about it on Bursa yesterday. I really, really wanted to be involved. I really do. This would be different than the ones that I have been involved in which was always related to debt restructuring or raising capital. This is about acquiring another company. A plan which we didn’t foresee happening at all, and yet there it is on the table.

My boss called me up yesterday, asking me how I was feeling, and whether I was ready to accept another challenge. Of course I felt a bit weird. Why was he asking me how I was feeling? I thought it was a trick question. You never know, these bosses. Sometime they may have something up their sleeves but they just don’t want to be too direct about it. So then I was told about this exercise and whether I wanted to be in the project team. I was in a limbo. I wanted so badly to be in the team but I was afraid that I could not commit much because I am after all pregnant and will deliver end of February next year. The exercise is only due for completion in March next year. That’s way beyond my labour date. Besides, now that I’m in my 6th month, going back late every other nights and working on weekends may not be the best option. Not to mention that I no longer have a maid. I know these corporate exercises. They have deadlines and require a lot of commitment. I know. I was involved in two of them. My boss told me that he asked me first before he approached another staff because he wanted me to make my decision first. Which I thought was very nice of him.

Unfortunately, much to my regret (but there’s just nothing much I can do), I had to decline. I felt bad. I was afraid I could not commit. But deep inside, I really want to be a part of it. It’s something that I have never been involved in. Call me selfish, but I want to experience something as big as this because then I call tell people that I was involved in that deal. Yeah, a bit over the top isn’t it, but that’s just me. Besides, I love the challenge, the adrenaline rush and the invisible power that somehow exists because you have the information while others don’t. Knowledge is pretty powerful stuff. But I can’t. I know I shouldn’t be blaming it on the gender thingy (I like doing that in the past), but being a woman, and pregnant too, can somehow disrupt your career advancement. I’m not saying that it happens in all organizations, but most Malaysian companies feel that women employees, no matter how good they are, once they get married and have babies, then that’s it. Family becomes the priority, works becomes second. I have always felt that us woman have to work twice as hard compared to men just to show to our bosses that we are equally good. When for actual fact, sometimes we are better than the men. Look at the number of students at the university. Just how many of them are women? So yeah, I’ve always had to say yes when sometimes, domestically it’s just quite impossible to do. But I felt that I needed to prove to the bosses that I am equal to my male counterpart. Yeah, ALL of my bosses are men. Some of them are so chauvinistic that they wouldn’t hear a word you say when for actual fact, what they say is wrong. Bodoh sombong.

So yeah, I am a bit frustrated today. The exercise has been approved by the Board. They’re doing the press conference and analyst briefing today. And of course they’ll be working together with the merchant banker throughout this weekend as the submission to the SC is on Monday. Exciting isn’t it. It’s just so interesting. Oh well, I have to let go and let others do it. Give them some exposure as well. Meanwhile, I should be concentrating on enjoying my weekend with my children. Both my children as my parents are sending over my son tonight. He has been staying with my parents in Seremban. Poor Raqib. And tomorrow is Marsya’s end of year concert. She will be singing and dancing. And also perhaps her kindergarten convocation. If all goes well, provided that she passes the test with the Education Ministry next Thursday to be held in Shah Alam, she’ll be in Standard One next year at the age of six. So yes, I have to be there for her as well. See.. what did I tell you about women and priorities after marriage?.. [sigh].. well, that’s life for you. Whether we like it or not, we have to make our choices. Whether the choice is a good one, that’s another story.

No comments: