Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Something For The Tooth Fairy

I went to the dentist yesterday. It’s been ages since I actually went to see one. At first I was really scared. I remembered the last time I checked my teeth was when I was about 12 years old. The dentist had to jab my mouth to numb it as I had quite a filling to do plus the dentist needed to extract a swollen molar tooth out. It was excruciatingly painful..!! I remember the incident like as if it was last week. And naturally, that made me very scared to see a dentist.

So, when Dr Liew ushered me in to his room, I was scared. But I kept quiet and tried to relax. I tried not looking at the metal equipment by the side of the chair. When Dr Liew asked me to sit, I felt like I was going to be tied up to the electric chair. I was terrified. But, I kept my calmness. I mean, if it hadn’t be for the terrible tooth ache that I had been suffering for quite a number of weeks now, I wouldn’t dare make myself available at the dentist. So I thought, “Let’s get it over and done with”.

I must admit that I am thankful for Dr Liew. He was patient and tried his best not to make me scared and of course, feel the pain, after he learnt that I dislike dentists and because of that I haven’t checked my teeth in like a very long time. He talked in a soothing manner and explained each of his conduct. First he jabbed me. I remember when I was younger; the needle seemed much bigger and longer. But yesterday, the needle wasn’t THAT long. It was still big, no doubt about that. But, NOT THAT long. I felt the pain as the needle went through my gums, but surprisingly, I endured it pretty well.

Then, he cleaned my teeth and gums; getting rid of all the decays. He was surprised at the fact that I haven’t seen a dentist for more than 15 years because he said that my teeth didn’t seem to reflect that. I felt good when he said that. So my teeth weren’t so bad after all.

However, Dr Liew discovered that I had four holes to fill in. I was surprised as well. I would have thought that I only had at most two holes, but unfortunately there were more. But I didn’t mind. As long as I was there, I told Dr Liew to fill in whichever hole he saw. And he did.

After an hour or so, Dr Liew finished performing his task. He told me to come back and see him in six months to see whether there would be potential holes to fill in. And to my surprise, I agreed. I mean, going to the dentist wasn’t that bad. I was lucky that I didn’t have to go through the root canal procedure or extract any molar tooth, which is even more painful.

So now, I’m still afraid to go see a dentist, but the fear isn’t as much as it used to be. I think everyone should take care of his or her teeth. Try brush the fear aside because if you keep on holding on to the toothache, later the teeth may be irreparable and the dentist may have to take it out, and THAT is even more painful not to mention, costly.

No comments: