Monday, February 23, 2009

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

I just saw the Hindi movie yesterday evening. I saw it on DVD. It starred Shah Rukh Khan (who was recently bestowed a Datukship.. something I can never I understand, but there you go…) and young Kajol. Honestly, I have never seen the movie. I saw it once a long time ago, but it was the ending part. The part where Shah Rukh Khan’s face was all bloody because he was engaged in a fight with Kajol’s fiancĂ©. But Bie raved about the movie. He liked it. He likes Kajol (the only Hindi actress that he liked) after he watched Dilwale. And he loved the songs, especially Tujhe Dekha To. I have never understood why he thinks that this is the best movie. But after I saw it yesterday, I understand.

Dilwale reminded me of my youth days. Where life was simple, fun with hormones raging unnecessarily all over the place. My craze back then was of course good looking boys. Hahahaha..!! I can’t help it. I was a young woman with lots of raging hormones. Fancying people and having crushes were the norm for me. I enjoyed it. It showed that I was alive and loving life. Yes.. I had a nice life back then. Not to say that it’s not nice now, but you know what I mean, being young and free.. it’s just nice, and I’m glad that I had that.

I watched it with Ibu. Even she admitted that it was nice to be young. And she remembered hers very well. Dilwale I guess has that affect on people. It made people look back at what they did when they were young. Especially where love and friends are concerned. And it made me wonder, can love really do that? Hindi movies can be a bit over the top. Especially where love is concerned. Somehow, watching it makes me wonder of the realism. I mean, it doesn’t look real to me. Yes the courting bit is normal, and young couple’s behavior when in love is as every bit as that portrayed in the movie, but I don’t know… somehow, the movie left this lingering feeling in my heart. And I can’t quite describe what it is. It’s like ‘tak berpijak di bumi yang nyata’ kind of thing. But there you go, it’s Hindustan. What can one expect from that. But everyone loves to dream and imagine themselves as being the main character in the movie. It gives them a warm feeling inside, I suppose. A feeling that can save them from the hassle of the reality of the world. I guess dreaming takes us away from current problems, and give us motivation for something to look forward to. Of course I do that too sometimes. But for Dilwale, I just can’t do that. I enjoyed the silly bantering between the couple as it took me to my younger days, but the love bit.. hhmm.. I don’t know. Call me practical, but I don’t think I can accept the ending part of the movie. Too unreal..

But of course the movie did GREAT. The two main actors are currently the biggest Hindi stars of all time, and I still adore Shah Rukh Khan. Datukship or no Datukship..

2 comments:

ManaL said...

One of my favourite hindi movies of all time too!!! Love all the songs, love the movie, love the thought of how things look familiar when it was shot in london and that how Raj Malhotra persevered thru odds and obstacles just to make sure that Simran gets the blessings from her parents no matter what. Never got bored watching it, seriously. Was 1st recommended by ida rozita over 12 years ago and I only got to watch the whole movie in 2000 out of curiosity. I'm not a big fan of SRK or Kajol, but I truly admire the late Amrish Puri (who played Baldiv Singh i.e. simran and rajeshwari's dad) and his hillarious scene when he sang to his wife (lajoo played by Farida Jalal) on the Mehndi (berinai) night. Puri was indeed a great actor and that movie gave the highest acclaim for SRK-Kajol acting duo. They then reprised their couple role in another major box office Kuch2 Hota Hai followed by their prolly last act as a couple in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham.

And that movie , basically translated as: The brave heart heart will take the bride, has catapulted SRK as one of the biggest hindi stars of the 90s on onward.

Mel Ija said...

Wow.. you really do like the movie, and very much too I might add. Hhmm.. then you should see Om Shanti Om.. really good movie, and a lot of cameo appearances. To name a few, Rani Mukherji, Dharmendra, Abishek Bachan, Rekha, Salman Khan, Karisma Kapoor.. memanf best, funny and nice lah. Something light and entertaining..