I went to an interview a few weeks back at this business consultancy firm somewhere in Tower 2 at KLCC. I wasn’t really looking for a new job, but I felt like testing the market. After all, I have been here at this company of mine for nearly seven years now. I don’t want to be too complacent. I didn’t even send out a lot of CVs. In fact, all I did was click on Jobstreet, about eight of them I think, and therefore I was quite surprised when they called me for an interview. But I was happy. At least I’m still marketable.
I went to the interview with no expectations at all. After all, I have never heard of the firm before. Furthermore, I am currently employed at a GLC and no doubt the pay isn’t as exciting, but the recent revised benefits are something that I should ponder on, if I decide to leave.
The establishment wasn’t that fantastic. I mean the office set-up. It looked pretty small and the reception area was very small. The posters hanging on the wall didn’t really entice me much. The firm was previously focused on IT-related services. So most of the information that can be seen were related to IT, networking, and others which are totally something that I am not in touch with. The fact that they made me wait for an hour and a half was another factor which made me decide upfront that I was so not interested in this firm. But since I had been called, I waited. It’d be interesting to see how I could contribute there, considering that I am not from the IT line.
Finally I was called in. The man who interviewed me was very good looking. In fact, I couldn’t help but stared at his face. He looked so fresh. Then I found out that if I were to join the firm, I would be reporting to him. Hhmm… interesting. He asked me to talk about myself. Then he went through my CV. He noticed that I was from PPP/ITM. He confessed that he also did his A-Levels there, before he went to the UK to do his degree. So, he is my super senior. Interesting.
He also talked about the job. I would not be doing any IT-related scope but more towards Strategy-related services and Policy making. The division works closely with government agencies and bodies, and provides innovative solutions to these entities in whichever capacity that leads to the betterment of these entities. They are involved in various industries and always work hand-in-hand with their clients. Of course if late night is required in order to finish a proposal, then everyone has to stay in and finish the work. There was a time whereby they worked through the night up till the next morning just to get a proposal out. I told them that I am ok to work late, but I have never worked until the next day. The minute he mentioned that, the first thing that cropped in my head is my kids, especially the breastfeeding one. Hhmm…
Because he had a meeting to attend to, I was only interviewed for about half an hour. After that, I left.
The weeks after that, I didn’t get a call back. I was alright with it. I wasn’t eager to leave the company that I am working for at the moment anyway, but if I do get an offer based on the salary figure that I put in the CV, then I may have to rethink the whole thing.
Exactly three weeks after the interview, I received a call. They want me. In fact, they are willing to let me have my bonus and whatever increment I’m supposed to get here before they make an offer. So that’s like another month. I am happy to know that they’re quite considerate on that. But now, it boils back to whether I want to accept it or not. And that is a very big question at the moment, because I do not know how to answer it. Should I go or should I not go.
I have asked the opinions of several friends. And most of them asked me to weigh the pros and cons, especially in terms of benefits and EPF contribution. I have to admit that the benefits I receive at the moment are very comforting. When I asked the firm on the sort of benefits that I may get, they weren’t very clear on that. So the next step is to know the details of the benefits I may get, and of course the salary structure. These two important things are quite crucial in determining whether I ought to accept the offer. They also asked me to use my intuition as there is already an answer there, except that I may have to dig it to find out. And of course, the non-financial aspects of it. Hhmm… very tough.
So now, I am still weighing it. It would have been much easier if my kids are all grown up. Then I can pretty much do anything. But my prime concern is the kids. I have never left them overnight. If I have a meeting outside (even in Singapore), I would ensure that I come back the same day. I’m not that worried about Marsya as she’s a big girl now (yeah I know she’s just three) but Raqib still breastfeeds and I can’t imagine leaving him not breastfed for even a single night. I remember a dear friend who encountered similar problems about 2 and a half years ago, and when she got back from outstation, her daughter merajuk with her. Hhmm.. difficult lah kan.
But I still have a month to go. The prospect of doing something entirely different is exciting. But staying here is comforting (which isn’t good, I suppose). Hhhmmm...
I went to the interview with no expectations at all. After all, I have never heard of the firm before. Furthermore, I am currently employed at a GLC and no doubt the pay isn’t as exciting, but the recent revised benefits are something that I should ponder on, if I decide to leave.
The establishment wasn’t that fantastic. I mean the office set-up. It looked pretty small and the reception area was very small. The posters hanging on the wall didn’t really entice me much. The firm was previously focused on IT-related services. So most of the information that can be seen were related to IT, networking, and others which are totally something that I am not in touch with. The fact that they made me wait for an hour and a half was another factor which made me decide upfront that I was so not interested in this firm. But since I had been called, I waited. It’d be interesting to see how I could contribute there, considering that I am not from the IT line.
Finally I was called in. The man who interviewed me was very good looking. In fact, I couldn’t help but stared at his face. He looked so fresh. Then I found out that if I were to join the firm, I would be reporting to him. Hhmm… interesting. He asked me to talk about myself. Then he went through my CV. He noticed that I was from PPP/ITM. He confessed that he also did his A-Levels there, before he went to the UK to do his degree. So, he is my super senior. Interesting.
He also talked about the job. I would not be doing any IT-related scope but more towards Strategy-related services and Policy making. The division works closely with government agencies and bodies, and provides innovative solutions to these entities in whichever capacity that leads to the betterment of these entities. They are involved in various industries and always work hand-in-hand with their clients. Of course if late night is required in order to finish a proposal, then everyone has to stay in and finish the work. There was a time whereby they worked through the night up till the next morning just to get a proposal out. I told them that I am ok to work late, but I have never worked until the next day. The minute he mentioned that, the first thing that cropped in my head is my kids, especially the breastfeeding one. Hhmm…
Because he had a meeting to attend to, I was only interviewed for about half an hour. After that, I left.
The weeks after that, I didn’t get a call back. I was alright with it. I wasn’t eager to leave the company that I am working for at the moment anyway, but if I do get an offer based on the salary figure that I put in the CV, then I may have to rethink the whole thing.
Exactly three weeks after the interview, I received a call. They want me. In fact, they are willing to let me have my bonus and whatever increment I’m supposed to get here before they make an offer. So that’s like another month. I am happy to know that they’re quite considerate on that. But now, it boils back to whether I want to accept it or not. And that is a very big question at the moment, because I do not know how to answer it. Should I go or should I not go.
I have asked the opinions of several friends. And most of them asked me to weigh the pros and cons, especially in terms of benefits and EPF contribution. I have to admit that the benefits I receive at the moment are very comforting. When I asked the firm on the sort of benefits that I may get, they weren’t very clear on that. So the next step is to know the details of the benefits I may get, and of course the salary structure. These two important things are quite crucial in determining whether I ought to accept the offer. They also asked me to use my intuition as there is already an answer there, except that I may have to dig it to find out. And of course, the non-financial aspects of it. Hhmm… very tough.
So now, I am still weighing it. It would have been much easier if my kids are all grown up. Then I can pretty much do anything. But my prime concern is the kids. I have never left them overnight. If I have a meeting outside (even in Singapore), I would ensure that I come back the same day. I’m not that worried about Marsya as she’s a big girl now (yeah I know she’s just three) but Raqib still breastfeeds and I can’t imagine leaving him not breastfed for even a single night. I remember a dear friend who encountered similar problems about 2 and a half years ago, and when she got back from outstation, her daughter merajuk with her. Hhmm.. difficult lah kan.
But I still have a month to go. The prospect of doing something entirely different is exciting. But staying here is comforting (which isn’t good, I suppose). Hhhmmm...

6 comments:
I pun akan merajuklah if u work overnight.. hehe, just kidding.
When they said they are willing to wait for another month, did they mean provided u accept the offer now or they don't really mind finding another person in case u change your mind at the end of next month.
Ppl say, a change is good, but depending on what kind of change lah rite, and whether u want it or not..
Eh, I dunno lah coz u r in a better position to think this through. I'm sure u've discussed with ur hubby + ur parents as well? Also, don't forget to pray istikharah.
Yup, hopefully istikharah should shed some lights to your dilemma.
Whatever your decision will be, all the best ya!
me again...
just to let you know that the mini library for orphanage project has a new target. Read my blog for more info if you want to contribute ya.. thanks!
1.It kinda sounds like glamorous working in the klcc tower isnt it? The parking is cekik darah, but u can always hop in hop off the Putra LRT, or u can park at those flat rate parking bays nearby.
2.Working overnight? u arent a doctor are u? Though it's not that strannge knowing that people who r contesting to get a contract tender just have to do that if the opening is very much sought after (u know those millions punya project) but then u cud also leave ur breastmilk frozen so your hubby/maid could warm them up and feed ur boy.
3.It's not that u r planning to stop making babies kan? So in the long run, u may need to consider that too unless the new job would guarantee extra savings for u to get a good maid/nursery near workplace.
4. Would this new company provide the necessary recognition for your future establishment. As in if ever u decided to move to another company, would this future company give good weightage to your CV?
5. I heard some people decided to return to their old company despite the higher salary they get from the new one. I think work satisfaction is the topmost reason.
So timbang2kan la yea, besides offering solat istikharah n hajat to help with ur decision. It's quite risky but hey, if u had a very good opportunity, why lose it?
Pisces Man and Ryzah,
Still pondering on it. Will definitely take up on the solat Istikharah. Thanks.
Manal,
What you have pointed out is actually very significant in helping me make a decision. Yes parking cekik darah, but I think I'd be the LRT user coz there's a station not far from where I live. As for the breastfeeding bit, I do freeze milk for supplies. So I don't think that will be a problem. But the little one likes to snuggle up to while falling asleep. So kesian lah. But no worries lah this, coz this is just small matter.
However, the remaining items you touched upon are something that I have to really think about. I do want to have another baby later, and my current company is very tolerable considering my pregnancy conditions, so I am grateful for that. And yes, I have had colleagues who came back here after they worked outside the Group. They said they liked the Group better. Tulah, work satisfaction is most important.
Still thinking it through.
Pisces Man and Ryzah,
Still pondering on it. Will definitely take up on the solat Istikharah. Thanks.
Manal,
What you have pointed out is actually very significant in helping me make a decision. Yes parking cekik darah, but I think I'd be the LRT user coz there's a station not far from where I live. As for the breastfeeding bit, I do freeze milk for supplies. So I don't think that will be a problem. But the little one likes to snuggle up to while falling asleep. So kesian lah. But no worries lah this, coz this is just small matter.
However, the remaining items you touched upon are something that I have to really think about. I do want to have another baby later, and my current company is very tolerable considering my pregnancy conditions, so I am grateful for that. And yes, I have had colleagues who came back here after they worked outside the Group. They said they liked the Group better. Tulah, work satisfaction is most important.
Still thinking it through.
Post a Comment