I had wanted to update what went on during the wedding at my parent’s house, but I never seemed to find the time to draft it. Besides, I needed the right mood to capture the event.
The wedding at our side I must say was superb (I’m biased.. I know). The pelamin was beautiful than the one at the bride’s house, and the guests were many. My brother and his wife were also beautiful. The clothes which were songket were beautiful, and the bride’s make-up was also beautiful (compared to the bride’s house). As Ayah has many friends, his guests include various VIPs (whom I didn’t recognize at all, so how was I supposed to know they were Tan Sris or Datuks – one Datuk complained that she didn’t get the bunga telur and ‘door gift’) as well as the old and current MB.
It was tiring. Imagine that we didn’t finish with the ‘door-gift’ for the guests even on the actual wedding day itself. So that morning, we had to quickly finish off the bunga telur so that we could distribute to all guests that came.
I wasn’t even dressed (or bathed for that matter) until it was nearly 12pm. After that, it was just rushing here and there. As my parents had to greet the guests whereas my brothers and husband were usherers, I had to act like the event-coordinator. So I was running here and there, making sure that certain things are done and/or given to the appropriate persons. I pity my little one as I couldn’t entertain him as much. Luckily there were many volunteers from my relatives to hold him and feed him. I stopped once in a while to breastfeed him, but other than that, I could be found in the kitchen, underneath the tent and inside the newly-weds room.
The entourage from my brother’s wife’s side came a bit late. In fact later than as programmed in the invitation card. They wanted to perform their Zohor prayers first and I could perfectly understand that. When they arrived, I was among the first to greet them and invited them to the house near the pelamin for the tepung tawar event. All of them sat in front of the pelamin. The emcee for the day did his job. He called the bride’s parents first to do the tepung tawar followed by her other close relatives. The last couple to tepung tawar was of course my parents. Then we invited them for lunch. We in fact reserved a few tables for their side so that when they came, foods were already guaranteed for them. The parents and other close members of the bride’s family sat at the newly-weds’ table. I have to admit that our caterer did a really good job. She made sure that the serving of the food for them was tip-top; so no room for complaint there.
The foods were good. I especially liked the beef rendang. For someone who doesn’t take beef, I sure ate the beef rendang a lot. Others were the normal chicken korma, dalca, etc. Ayah also had his famous Teh Tarik Corner with cendol and other kuih-muih (from crispy delicacies to sweet kuih kuaci). And there was also ice-cream. I had a tub, but before I could finish it, I was called to meet my parents’ guests. When I returned to the table to retrieve my ice-cream, it was already gone. Those boys sure were efficient in collecting dirty plates and cups including my half-eaten tub of ice-cream.
I think I only sat down to rest at about 5pm. There were still guests about, but since my parents were there to entertain them, I just let them be. I was just tired. We wanted to sing (there was karaoke there), but we were too shy because there were still plenty of guests around. So, we didn’t sing anything. As for me, I just sat there and played with my baby.
As usual, that night, Ayah invited his close friends and neighbours to the house. There is this informal ritual that Ayah likes to perform after the wedding reception during the day. It all began from my wedding five years ago. Well basically, that night, we had another event at the house. Lucky draws (Ayah managed to get about 8 to 10 hampers and several small gifts), birthday cake-cutting (collectively celebrated as there were many of us who were born in January including my daughter Marsya and Ibu) and performances by ‘professional’ performers like my dearest Bie, my brother, his friends and my Maksu (karaoke went on till midnight).
It was fun. We sang, we ate and drank more teh tarik. Bie and I also performed a duet together. We sang ‘Doa Buat Kekasih’ originally performed by Ramli Sarip and Khatijah Ibrahim. And for those who know me upfront, my performance was somewhat fun. Well, I danced while singing (more like swaying my body to the left and right) and held on to Bie’s arm as a show of affection. My new sis-in-law thought my voice was good. Hehehe… kembanglah aku. I thought it was cute.
All and all, the event ended at midnight. By that time, I was already in the room, trying to make Raqib go to sleep. Marsya was just too excited playing with her little aunts whereas Bie and my other brothers were hanging out with their friends while drinking teh tarik. The neighbours had long left. The house wasn’t so much of a mess because most of the event was held outside, on the porch. Luckily we used caterers instead of cooking the food ourselves. But the kitchen and dining area was a bit of a mess. By that time, I didn’t bother much. All I know was that I wanted to go to sleep.
I was pleased. The wedding went smoothly. Even if there were hiccups here and there, they weren’t noticeable. So it was alright. So yeah, the next wedding will perhaps take place in another five years time (by the looks of it since my youngest brother had already introduced his girlfriend to the whole family.. imagine his boldness), but still a long way to go.
The wedding at our side I must say was superb (I’m biased.. I know). The pelamin was beautiful than the one at the bride’s house, and the guests were many. My brother and his wife were also beautiful. The clothes which were songket were beautiful, and the bride’s make-up was also beautiful (compared to the bride’s house). As Ayah has many friends, his guests include various VIPs (whom I didn’t recognize at all, so how was I supposed to know they were Tan Sris or Datuks – one Datuk complained that she didn’t get the bunga telur and ‘door gift’) as well as the old and current MB.
It was tiring. Imagine that we didn’t finish with the ‘door-gift’ for the guests even on the actual wedding day itself. So that morning, we had to quickly finish off the bunga telur so that we could distribute to all guests that came.
I wasn’t even dressed (or bathed for that matter) until it was nearly 12pm. After that, it was just rushing here and there. As my parents had to greet the guests whereas my brothers and husband were usherers, I had to act like the event-coordinator. So I was running here and there, making sure that certain things are done and/or given to the appropriate persons. I pity my little one as I couldn’t entertain him as much. Luckily there were many volunteers from my relatives to hold him and feed him. I stopped once in a while to breastfeed him, but other than that, I could be found in the kitchen, underneath the tent and inside the newly-weds room.
The entourage from my brother’s wife’s side came a bit late. In fact later than as programmed in the invitation card. They wanted to perform their Zohor prayers first and I could perfectly understand that. When they arrived, I was among the first to greet them and invited them to the house near the pelamin for the tepung tawar event. All of them sat in front of the pelamin. The emcee for the day did his job. He called the bride’s parents first to do the tepung tawar followed by her other close relatives. The last couple to tepung tawar was of course my parents. Then we invited them for lunch. We in fact reserved a few tables for their side so that when they came, foods were already guaranteed for them. The parents and other close members of the bride’s family sat at the newly-weds’ table. I have to admit that our caterer did a really good job. She made sure that the serving of the food for them was tip-top; so no room for complaint there.
The foods were good. I especially liked the beef rendang. For someone who doesn’t take beef, I sure ate the beef rendang a lot. Others were the normal chicken korma, dalca, etc. Ayah also had his famous Teh Tarik Corner with cendol and other kuih-muih (from crispy delicacies to sweet kuih kuaci). And there was also ice-cream. I had a tub, but before I could finish it, I was called to meet my parents’ guests. When I returned to the table to retrieve my ice-cream, it was already gone. Those boys sure were efficient in collecting dirty plates and cups including my half-eaten tub of ice-cream.
I think I only sat down to rest at about 5pm. There were still guests about, but since my parents were there to entertain them, I just let them be. I was just tired. We wanted to sing (there was karaoke there), but we were too shy because there were still plenty of guests around. So, we didn’t sing anything. As for me, I just sat there and played with my baby.
As usual, that night, Ayah invited his close friends and neighbours to the house. There is this informal ritual that Ayah likes to perform after the wedding reception during the day. It all began from my wedding five years ago. Well basically, that night, we had another event at the house. Lucky draws (Ayah managed to get about 8 to 10 hampers and several small gifts), birthday cake-cutting (collectively celebrated as there were many of us who were born in January including my daughter Marsya and Ibu) and performances by ‘professional’ performers like my dearest Bie, my brother, his friends and my Maksu (karaoke went on till midnight).
It was fun. We sang, we ate and drank more teh tarik. Bie and I also performed a duet together. We sang ‘Doa Buat Kekasih’ originally performed by Ramli Sarip and Khatijah Ibrahim. And for those who know me upfront, my performance was somewhat fun. Well, I danced while singing (more like swaying my body to the left and right) and held on to Bie’s arm as a show of affection. My new sis-in-law thought my voice was good. Hehehe… kembanglah aku. I thought it was cute.
All and all, the event ended at midnight. By that time, I was already in the room, trying to make Raqib go to sleep. Marsya was just too excited playing with her little aunts whereas Bie and my other brothers were hanging out with their friends while drinking teh tarik. The neighbours had long left. The house wasn’t so much of a mess because most of the event was held outside, on the porch. Luckily we used caterers instead of cooking the food ourselves. But the kitchen and dining area was a bit of a mess. By that time, I didn’t bother much. All I know was that I wanted to go to sleep.
I was pleased. The wedding went smoothly. Even if there were hiccups here and there, they weren’t noticeable. So it was alright. So yeah, the next wedding will perhaps take place in another five years time (by the looks of it since my youngest brother had already introduced his girlfriend to the whole family.. imagine his boldness), but still a long way to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment