I am a member of the toastmasters club, District 51. I have been a member since August 2003. Unfortunately, I haven’t been very disciplined on the delivery of project speeches. Nearly all my friends who became members about the same time that I joined the club, have all finished their ten basic manual speeches and obtained the title Competent Toastmaster abbreviated for short, CTM. As for me, I’m like a chocolate cookie. Now you see me, now you don’t. There was a time when I attend club meetings on a frequent basis. But there have also been times that I have not been attending at all. I was plagued by the usual disease; LAZY. The meetings usually take place after work and therefore, the LAZY streak suddenly crops into place whenever I thought of attending.
But now, we have a new president. My president is a very funny guy. And he’s quite cute looking as well, considering of his mixed parentage. Albeit he has a little tummy, I like him all the same. Lately, I haven’t been missing club meetings much. With the new president and the new exco members, the club seems to have been given a new breath of air. It is much more fun and the enthusiasm of the new members; make me want to attend the meeting all the time. The new members compete with each other to complete all ten speeches. And there I was, considered as an old member, still stuck at speech number seven. And to make matters worse, my president, in his closing speech always spare me some cute remarks reminding everyone present that I am stuck at speech seven and not moving forward. So, to take the challenge, for last week’s meeting I presented my speech number eight; To Beat Or Not To Beat, That Is The Question, something about if we love our children, should we hit them.
I was also the TME for the meeting. TME is Toastmaster of the Evening. I was in charge of chairing the meeting. Of course I applied my unorthodox way in chairing the meeting. The theme was music. I had everyone dancing and singing to REM’s Shiny Happy People and later conducted the Table Topic Session ‘ala’ musical chair. When the music stops, the person who was holding to the envelope had to give an impromptu speech. That got everybody excited. It was good.
When it was time for me to deliver my speech, I was a nervous wreck. Although I was the TME and thus got warmed up talking in front of people, but this is a speech that we’re talking about. I haven’t delivered one for ages. I saw myself stuttering in front of these people. I saw myself stuck, not being able to say anything. I walked to the centre stage and began my speech.
The next seven minutes, I had everyone listening to me tentatively. All eyes were on me. And when I finished my speech, I was given quite an applause. People were congratulating me saying that my speech was good, and that I didn’t look nervous at all. They even said that I was a natural and I was gifted i.e. not everyone can deliver a speech like I did. I smiled, taking into all the compliments with a very happy feeling. It felt good doing the speech. And I had to admit that it came to no surprise when I got the best project speech (macam bagus tak? Hehehehe...). I received excellent reviews in my basic speech manual and that made me feel good.
The next day, I received individual emails from friends and of course, my president congratulating me on my speech. And of course they’re looking forward to my ninth speech and thereafter the tenth and final speech. Hhmm… looks like I have to really think hard on something catchy for my next speech. Ironically, the project speech is skewed towards powers of persuasion. Now, what would be an interesting topic for me to persuade people on? Hhmmm…
By the way, a certain thank you for a good friend who gave me flowers about 2 weeks ago. It’s still on my table. I have thrown away the wilted leaves, but surprisingly, most of the flowered stalks are still green. I have just cleaned the vase and replaced it with fresh, mineral water. I truly appreciate it. Thank you so much.
But now, we have a new president. My president is a very funny guy. And he’s quite cute looking as well, considering of his mixed parentage. Albeit he has a little tummy, I like him all the same. Lately, I haven’t been missing club meetings much. With the new president and the new exco members, the club seems to have been given a new breath of air. It is much more fun and the enthusiasm of the new members; make me want to attend the meeting all the time. The new members compete with each other to complete all ten speeches. And there I was, considered as an old member, still stuck at speech number seven. And to make matters worse, my president, in his closing speech always spare me some cute remarks reminding everyone present that I am stuck at speech seven and not moving forward. So, to take the challenge, for last week’s meeting I presented my speech number eight; To Beat Or Not To Beat, That Is The Question, something about if we love our children, should we hit them.
I was also the TME for the meeting. TME is Toastmaster of the Evening. I was in charge of chairing the meeting. Of course I applied my unorthodox way in chairing the meeting. The theme was music. I had everyone dancing and singing to REM’s Shiny Happy People and later conducted the Table Topic Session ‘ala’ musical chair. When the music stops, the person who was holding to the envelope had to give an impromptu speech. That got everybody excited. It was good.
When it was time for me to deliver my speech, I was a nervous wreck. Although I was the TME and thus got warmed up talking in front of people, but this is a speech that we’re talking about. I haven’t delivered one for ages. I saw myself stuttering in front of these people. I saw myself stuck, not being able to say anything. I walked to the centre stage and began my speech.
The next seven minutes, I had everyone listening to me tentatively. All eyes were on me. And when I finished my speech, I was given quite an applause. People were congratulating me saying that my speech was good, and that I didn’t look nervous at all. They even said that I was a natural and I was gifted i.e. not everyone can deliver a speech like I did. I smiled, taking into all the compliments with a very happy feeling. It felt good doing the speech. And I had to admit that it came to no surprise when I got the best project speech (macam bagus tak? Hehehehe...). I received excellent reviews in my basic speech manual and that made me feel good.
The next day, I received individual emails from friends and of course, my president congratulating me on my speech. And of course they’re looking forward to my ninth speech and thereafter the tenth and final speech. Hhmm… looks like I have to really think hard on something catchy for my next speech. Ironically, the project speech is skewed towards powers of persuasion. Now, what would be an interesting topic for me to persuade people on? Hhmmm…
By the way, a certain thank you for a good friend who gave me flowers about 2 weeks ago. It’s still on my table. I have thrown away the wilted leaves, but surprisingly, most of the flowered stalks are still green. I have just cleaned the vase and replaced it with fresh, mineral water. I truly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

9 comments:
Hi! Which Toastmasters club are u in?
It's the Group's (my company) Toastmasters Club. Are you also a member of a toastmaster's club?
Used to... pancit separuh jalan due to money constraints (coincidentally, the time I needed to renew my yearly fees was close to my wedding date, u know with all the wedding preparations!), and now time constraints laa.... :)
Hhhmm.. I know what you mean. Well, let's hope you'll have the time to resume your toastmasters activities
i told ya! public speaking is definitely ur cup of tea ok!!
:D ohh... and you are welcomed.
Ello, what was the url of the website on Lina Joy yang you post to A-Level 13 yahoogroups semalam. Can u email it to me personally? Thanx a zillion!
erm, it's ok, i got it. thanx! :)
Pah,
I think I might just make public speaking my source of income. Hehehe.. but thanks for the compliment, dear. Truly appreciate that.
As for the flowers, believe it or not, it's still on my table. I just replaced the vase with fresher water yesterday.
*hugs*
Abdun,
I think you can get the URL from the email i sent yesterday.
Post a Comment