Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Sucker For Superheroes? Definitely…





When the whole world was excited to see the Superman Returns, I didn’t bother. I didn’t like the idea of a soap actor playing the role that the late Christopher Reeves did so well. I mean, whenever we talked about Superman, Reeves come to mind. Well, I’m not a hard die fan of the Superman trilogy but I did grow up with Reeves as Superman and watching the new movie would be some sort of a betrayal to him. So when my dearest Bie and I were at One Utama last night, we said, “What the heck, let’s just see the movie”. And thereon, we went to the cinema with no expectation at all; we just wanted to see a movie.

But man, was I wrong. The minute the opening music came on screen, the old familiarity of the Superman movies crept up in me. I could actually feel goose bumps. In fact, I was a little excited. So when Superman, this time played by Brandon came back to earth after missing for five years, I was a little skeptical. Could he pull it off? Could he become Superman? Could he become the goofy Clark Kent? But I watched anyway.

So as Clark Kent, he went to the Daily Planet to get his old job back. And I was surprised at the resemblance. The way he spoke, moved and pushed his glasses was just like Reeves as Clark Kent..!! In fact, his goofiness was apparent. I was excited. And of course he turned into Superman to save a plane from crashing and right at that moment, I was highly infatuated with the new Superman. I liked it that Brandon Routh (pronounced as ‘south’) is now the new man of steel. He was good. I guess he did his homework all right. And now, I’m a sucker for him. A sucker for Brandon Routh as Superman. I like the movie. Directed by Bryan Singer (who also directed the first two X-Men), the movie was action-packed and filled with suspense. I like the Superman Returns very much. I like Brandon as the new Superman. And now I can’t wait for the sequel.

I have always been infatuated with superheroes. Call me silly, but it’s true. Whenever I watch a superhero movie, the after effect of it would a bit childish. I actually feel like a schoolgirl. I would have stars in my eyes and I would think of them before I go to sleep. Silly isn’t it? [sigh]… what to do.. I grew up with the notions of being surrounded by superheroes. And now with the advancement in technology, not to mention good-looking men in tight spandex outfits, Hollywood has made these movies with class and style. Among my favourites is Batman, played by Christian Bale – I SO LIKE Christian Bale. He played Batman in Batman Begins with absolute style. And his character as Bruce Wayne is just so cool. Rich man by day but a caped crusader by night.

Then there’s Spiderman. Tobey McGuire as Spiderman is just so perfect. In the second movie, Jake Gyllenhaal nearly took over his role as Spiderman as Tobey was engaged in Seabiscuit. But Tobey refused to allow that. So he came back as Peter Parker in Spiderman 2. And as usual, I was infatuated with him after the movie (make that for both movies). I like the nice kid element in Peter Parker and Tobey played that part so well. And he looks adorable as Spiderman.

And of course, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I love ALL X-MEN movies because all of them are superheroes. But I like Wolverine the best. I like him because he has this distinct rouge about him. He’s also strong and way cool. Hugh is the perfect person for Wolverine. At first, Dougray Scott (the Scottish who played Drew Barrymore’s prince in Ever After) was supposed to be Wolverine. But, he couldn’t do it, as he was involved in Mission Impossible 2. It was good that he couldn’t make it coz I think he may not be cut out for the role. Hugh Jackman, with his nice biceps and body is the perfect Wolverine. I can’t wait for the new Wolverine movie to come out. The movie will be focusing on him alone, without his X-Men buddies.

The best part is that, I always imagine myself as the woman in these superheroes’ lives. Hehehe… perasan giler kan? But I can’t help it. I am DEFINITELY a sucker for superheroes. And if only they truly exist, I think I would find ways to ensure that I somehow am a part of their lives.

[Sigh.. too much superhero movies. It’s overwhelming…!!]

4 comments:

The Pisces Man said...

Elloo.... You forgot to put up my photo as one of your superheroes... Surely, you still have that one, right? Ha ha ha ha...

Mel Ija said...

HAHAHAHA...!!

Funny lah you. Unfortunately Abdun dear, I DO NOT have you in my head as one of the superheroes. Sorry.. :)

But thanks for volunteering... hehehe..

The Pisces Man said...

Hmmm... wait till you see my super abilities :))

Mel Ija said...

Hhmm.. should I worry?? :)