Monday, May 29, 2006

A Call From An Old Friend

I was fast asleep when suddenly I heard the phone ringing. I thought it was my alarm clock, so I ignored it because my dearest Bie would switch it off for me, as usual. But then Bie gave the phone to me saying that it was my friend. Now, who would want to call me at 3.30 in the morning? Sleepy as I was, I picked up the phone.

Fancy my surprise when I heard a man speaking in a German accent on the other line.

“Achim..!!” I screamed. I heard him laugh on the other line.

“Hi Masleena. It’s been a long time”.

“Yes it has. I haven’t heard from you for a quite a while”.

“I have been busy and my life has been a bit off track, but that’s another time. Maybe I will write you a long email later. I am with Jesus and Susana here. And he has news to share with you. He’s getting married next Saturday with Susana”.

I was no longer sleepy. “Wow.. congratulations”.

“I’ll pass the phone to him”.

So I spoke with Jesus. He is getting married this coming Saturday and is very happy about it. He told me that he is going for his honeymoon in Vietnam. I protested and told him to come to Malaysia again because I can arrange for some really nice accommodations. But he said that he couldn’t promise to drop by Kuala Lumpur. However, he invited me to Spain instead. After talking for a few more minutes with Jesus, and then Achim, we hung up.

That was nice. I haven’t been in contact with Achim for quite a while now. The last email that I received from him was late last year when he told me that he had broken up with his girlfriend and was working in Vienna. He does call once in a while, but it has been ages as well since we spoke on the phone. But, he never fails to call me to say hi, which is very nice of him.

I know Achim back in Newcastle. We had an elective class together. I can’t remember which subject though. But thereon we became good friends. We would meet up for coffee at the Student Union or walk together to Eldon Square where later he would walk me to my bus stop so that I could catch the bus home. Sometimes we would meet up at the library and discussed about the subject we took. We even talked about life, philosophy and religion. He was doing his degree at that time. But older than me as he was one of those students who took up tertiary education at a later age.

I invited him over for a nasi ayam when I was in Dilston Road and he loved it. He tried eating with his bare hands (coz he saw that some of the Girls who were there at the time, were eating with their hands). Of course it was funny to see him eat with his hands, but he didn’t mind. Because we were quite close, Bie didn’t feel very comfortable with it. He didn’t like the fact that Achim would say hi to me when he saw me but ignored him.

When I returned to Malaysia whereas he returned to Germany, we kept in contact. We would exchange emails and he would sometimes call me. In October 2001, he visited me in Malaysia. He brought his Spanish friend with him, Jesus Gonzales. It was nice. Coz I had just started working, I couldn’t take much of leave. So, I let him stay with my parents to experience the Malaysian family way of life and my parents took them out on day trips to PD, Malacca, etc. Trust me, I had stupid arguments with Bie along the way because he didn’t seem to like the idea that Achim was staying with me and my parents under the same roof for two weeks. Not until he helped Achim and Jesus during their visit to Pangkor that Bie then approved wholeheartedly of my friendship with Achim. And Achim also finally acknowledged Bie. It was funny. I don’t know why he ignored Bie before.

We promised to visit him in Germany in 2006 for the World Cup. But alas, it was not to be. Achim was excited though and promised that he would arrange accommodations and buy us the game tickets. Unfortunately, due to no excess of funds, we couldn’t go to Germany this year. Oh well. Maybe later. Hopefully.

His phone call last night brought back good memories. I so hope that I can see him soon. I told him to come back to Malaysia for a visit, but due to work commitments, he couldn’t come. Oh well, I just hope that Jesus will find time and drop by in Kuala Lumpur during his visit to Vietnam.

4 comments:

The Pisces Man said...

Gasp! I thought you talked to Jesus himself... :)

Mel Ija said...

Hahahahaha..!!

Jesus is a guy who currently lives in Spain. He's getting married this saturday. He is just like you and me. And his full name is Jesus Gonzales. Don't worry, this is not another Da Vinci Code.. :)

Anonymous said...

Thats nice of them to call :-) I know nape Fiki didnt like him back then. heheh..

Mel Ija said...

You know, eh Pah..?? hhmm.. :)
Well, that was in the past. Yang penting, I am happy where I am now and I'm sure he's happy where he is now.. But it's nice to think of it once in a while kan.. :P