Monday, November 21, 2005

Have You Ever..??


Have you ever felt that it is time to move on and that staying at one place for quite a while can be very detrimental not only to you but to other people surrounding you? Do you sometimes feel that people don’t appreciate you much and that your talents, skills, and capabilities are not being fully utilized as they are supposed to? Have you ever thought of leaving that current depressing situation and move on to greener field? Well frankly, I am very de-motivated these days. And this only applies at the work place. I feel that people are not appreciating me. I feel that my skills and capabilities are not being used as they should be. I feel incompetent when I shouldn’t be. I feel sick and tired and the thought of leaving the workplace in search of a better place is screaming at all angles.

Is it time for me to move on? I don’t know. I have been here since July 2001 and that is considered a VERY long time. It is my second employment after I graduated. When I came here, my pay was quite huge compared to the others AT THAT TIME. And I was very happy as I was doing something new. But the pay has been quite stagnant and at this point in time, the workload has also lessened. Is it me? Does the boss think that I’m not competent and that is why he’s not giving me any specific, responsible task? I’m not the type that relaxes all the time at the office. Without work, I’d get restless and the day would begin as a very lengthy one for me. I have uttered the words of leaving many times already. In fact, I just lost track of it. But what made me stay (for yet a few more months)?

The people here are FANTASTIC..!! I love my colleagues. They’re the best. There’s no backstabbing (well at the corporate office here at least), there are no cliques here. Everybody is everybody’s friends and they know who you are, what you are, and where you stay. They know where I send my baby off to every morning and they know where my favourite Thai restaurant is. They know I don’t drink milk and they know that I usually have a very huge lunch (much to the amazement of my fellow male colleagues; some of them do not take lunch. They have fruits). Invitations to houses for Raya, or Housewarming are always in abundance. And the best part is that, everybody makes an effort to go to these open houses or housewarming parties. Even when they say that it is only from 3pm to 6pm. But if you come at 7pm, they will invite you warmly inside their houses. Like last Friday, we had a Raya gathering at the office but pot luck basis. Everyone made an effort to contribute. Not just the money, but cook something and bring it to the office. We had a blast of a time last Friday. There were a lot of laughing and eating. And I like that.

I don’t know whether I’ll find that comfortable environment in any other work place. I guess I am a bit scared because the past employment (the first one after I graduated) had always kind a haunt me. The work was fantastic for a fresh graduate like me (corporate and debt restructuring advisory work), but the people were *&@$... Well, just a few of them. I was so stressed that even my housemates were afraid to say hi to me. When for actual fact, I needed their companionship the most at that time because I was so stressed at the office. But they were afraid of me because they didn’t know how my mood was at that time. There were times when I was very stressed with my immediate (single, old and divorced) woman boss, I would go to the surau and cried my eyes out. And when I came back to my room, my eyes would be puffy and red. I know that my colleague wanted to ask but she was afraid to utter the question. This went on for quite a while. I couldn’t take it anymore and I left. And thankfully, the environment here is a thousand times better. But lately, the work hasn’t. And it is very de-motivating. I know I should leave. I have already applied for a few jobs but not actively. Thinking of leaving as soon as I receive a bonus (if there ever is one, but I’m counting on it for next year. I really do). I need to go to a place where my skills will be recognized. I just hope that the people will also be nice. Oh well, you can’t have everything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think kan, YOU know best whether it is time to leave or stay :-) And you have proved to be very practical in the past when it comes to making career decision... So, think seriously about this issue, and you will definitely come to a decision.

*hugs*

Mel Ija said...

Thanks Pah... :)

You're the best. Sometimes practicality sucks... but in the end, a decision has to be made...