Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Have Two of Them Now

I have been extremely busy. For those who do not know, I have returned to work from my two-month maternity leave. It’s actually very short. At first I felt that the two months was going to be long. But after I got better, I felt that the two months were just too short. There were still a lot of things I haven’t done yet. I had wanted to take an extra week off, but my boss was constantly calling me, so I had no choice but to come in right on my 61st day.

I wanted to update the blog with stories and pictures of my new baby. His name is Muhammad Raqib. But since I didn’t have the time, I couldn’t draft anything. Only some of his pictures are uploaded into my PC. Bie unfortunately has been quite busy and not at the office to do the uploading of the pictures. Nevertheless, Raqib is now 6kg. Well, I assume he’s already 6kg because during the doctor’s appointment about three weeks ago, he was already 5.9kg. That’s like 1kg every month. I’m still breastfeeding him. I have been expressing milk at the work place and Alhamdullilah, as at to date, my milk seems to be sufficient. I hope it’ll be sufficient in months to come.

Raqib is just so adorable (I’m biased coz I’m his mother) and he likes attention. He wants people to constantly talk to him. He would of course respond in his own baby-ish ways. The goo-goo and ga-ga that come from his mouth is just so ear-pleasing. I can talk to him all day. But of course, I can’t do much work then. He still has this baby smell. Frankly speaking, I don’t know this smell that people talk about. All I can smell of him is milk. My milk that is. It can be in a form of a fresh milk, or stale milk, or thrown up milk. But I love his smell all the same.

He likes to smile and I love seeing his teeth-less gums. Gums with no teeth looks so cute in a baby’s mouth, but I wonder why people, when they’ve come of age and are suddenly toothless looks really ridiculous. The mystery of the world.

Anyhow, his sister adores him very much. But she can be very jealous and possessive. Yes she wouldn’t allow other people to take her little brother (the usual, “Aunty ambik adik bawak balik boleh tak?” whereby the reply would be, “tak bolehlah”), but whenever Raqib is not lying on my lap, she would immediately scramble to her feet and climb into my lap. There were also times whereby she wanted to sleep with me but because I needed to put the baby to sleep, she became all tantrums and cried herself to sleep. On those occasions, the minute Raqib is asleep, I would go to Marsya and sleep next to her. She would be very happy. She would hug me while sleeping or read some books for me (in her own toddler language) until she fell asleep.

But she loves to whine these days. Sakit tulah, sakit nilah. And she wants me to attend to her ‘sakit’. If her father does it for her, she’d get all mad and will not stop whining until I personally look at her. I don’t blame her though. So used to being the only one that everyone pays attention to and suddenly her place is being taken over by her little brother, of course she whines and merajuk a lot. Sometimes, her constant craving for attention is just so much that Bie and I become very tired. But she is after all our eldest, so despite her constant screaming and whining, we love her still very much and try to please her in any way we can, just so that she’ll be alright during this adjustment period.

I too have some adjustments to do. Let’s just say that when both my kids cry at the top of their lungs, I have learnt to shut one ear and be deaf for a while, well at least until I finish whatever it is that I have to do. But my God, it is very hard to do. I respect those women who have more than two kids and yet are able to take care of them and do the house chores without a maid at their disposal. 110 percent respect for them.

Whatever it is, I love both my kids very much. And truthfully, I don’t mind having more, but not just as yet. Perhaps three years down the road, who knows. Anyhow, here are some pictures of Raqib.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

assalammualaikum ...

he is lovely ija :)

congratultions again and a big hug for raqib ...

thanx for updating and take care!

wassalam ...

Mel Ija said...

Waalaikumsalam...

Thank you. He is lovely isn't he? Hehehehe... there I go again.. getting all biased and everything.

Will update more stuff from time to time. You take care too, ok..

Anonymous said...

sangat hensem la raqib ni (ok, i cant pronounce it like fiki wants to, sorry!) :P

marsya is an absolute delight kan? a tad too friendly, but charming sangat2.

and you look great too! you have lost all the extra kgs :D which is wonderful okay?

Mel Ija said...

Thank you, Pah (beaming from ear to ear especially the bit about "lost all the extra kgs")...

The way he pronounces it is "hencem"... and Marsya, what can I say. The friendly bit, I think she gets it from her umi... hehehehe...

ManaL said...

Why la i see ur baby macam dah budak besar ha? is it that he grows up quite fast wot with all that breastfeeding or my eyes a bit a slow to distinguish a baby boy and a grownup kid.

How about a pic of both bro and sis? cheh, mintak jer kan, mcm la u had lotsa free times to upload the photos...saje je nak tgk ur kids...

Mel Ija said...

Manal,

My baby does looks big for his age. I mean, he's only 3 months and 1 week now. But if I don't tell people his age, people would think that he's already 6 months. I guess it runs in the family kot. When we went to the doctor, we were informed that his growth is on the upper-side of the normal scale, but nothing to worry about. So, we're ok with that.

I will post pics of both sister and brother soon. Just haven't got one (percaya tak tu...) I've got separate ones, but not of them together. Will do so soon.

The Pisces Man said...

Ija,

Raqib is quite big and healthy eh? He's already 6kg? Congrats to both of his parents...

If you want to know what this baby smell that people talk about, come close to me, then u'll know. Hahahaa, it's a joke ok..please dont throw up :p

Btw, who's ME (the first person who commented here)? Coz his site refers to a Jesus/Christian site...

Mel Ija said...

Hi Pisces Man,

He is big and healthy, yes he is. Thank you. About the baby smell, I'd rather sniff my own baby, thank you very much.

ME is a dear friend of mine who lives in the UK. I am as surprised as you when I clicked on her username and keluar site Christian. That is DEFINITELY not her site. Hers is the one which sells kids' stuff online. I wonder why... hhmm..??

Murn, if you're reading this, care to explain. Why ah?